1 IN 3 AMERICAN ADULTS HAVE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE. ONLY ABOUT HALF OF PEOPLE WITH HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE HAVE THEIR CONDITION UNDER CONTROL.
BLOOD PRESSURE SELF-MONITORING PROGRAM
According to the American Heart Association, 80 million American adults have high blood pressure, but less than half have it under control. Research shows that the simple process of checking and recording blood pressure at least twice a month over four months may lower blood pressure in some people with hypertension.
YMCA’s Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program is designed to help participants with hypertension lower their blood pressure by following an evidence-based program that combines blood pressure self-monitoring, nutrition education seminars and personalized support.
Participants will receive support from trained Healthy Heart Ambassadors and for a four-month duration will be encouraged to:
• Measure and record their blood pressure at least two times per month (a minimum of eight times)
• Attend two personalized consultations per month
• Attend monthly Nutritional Education Seminars
The Gateway Region YMCA is looking for adults with high blood pressure who could benefit from participating in this program. Benefits include:
A simple, evidence-based program that may lower blood pressure
• Personalized support from a Y Healthy Heart Ambassador
• Tips for maintaining cardiovascular health
• Easy-to-use, portable self-tracking tool
Participants must meet the following criteria to participate in the program:
• Must be at least 18 years old
• Must be diagnosed with high blood pressure
• Must not have experienced a recent cardiac event
• Must not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
• Must not be at risk for lymphedema
The following Gateway Region YMCA branches currently offer a Blood Pressure Monitoring Program:
- O'Fallon Park Rec Complex: Fridays, 8-11am
- Monsanto Family YMCA: Mondays 9am-Noon or Thursdays 5-7pm
- South City Family YMCA: Wednesdays, 9-11am
- South County Family YMCA: Begins the week of March 15 (day and time TBD)
- Collinsville Maryville Troy YMCA: Mondays 10:30 am - 3:30 pm
- Chesterfield Family YMCA
For more information about the program, contact (314) 421-8897 or firstname.lastname@example.org.