You are here
Healthy Weight & Your Child
ACHIEVE A HEALTHY WEIGHT TOGETHER
Reclaim your family’s health through healthier eating habits and an active lifestyle.
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
Healthy Weight and Your Child is a 25-session evidence-based program for children with obesity. The program includes a Family Information Session followed by 25 sessions delivered over four months. The family-based weight management program focuses on nutrition education and physical activity to encourage healthier eating habits and an active lifestyle to reach a healthy weight.
Healthy Weight and Your Child’s curriculum is adapted from the most widely disseminated and extensively evaluated child weight management program in the world. Studies have shown that the program is cost -efficient and effective in reducing a child’s body mass index and waist circumference, reducing sedentary behaviors, increasing physical activity and improving self-esteem. The program is designed with the whole family in mind, engaging a child and adult in education, healthy eating and physical activity to elicit positive change and help families learn skills to live a healthier lifestyle long-term. Evidence shows that child weight-management programs are more effective when the whole family is involved and committed to adopting healthier habits.
Healthy Weight and Your Child is delivered by two trained leaders: A Content Leader and an Activity Leader. Both leaders play an equally significant role in facilitating the program. The Content Leader delivers the education and nutrition portions of the program. The Activity Leader, trained to deliver evidence-based games and exercises safely for children with obesity, delivers the physical activity portion of the curriculum and supports the delivery of the content portion of the class.
A FAMILY-BASED LIFESTYLE CHANGE PROGRAM:
- In-person sessions for child and adult
- Physical activity
- Healthy eating
- Portion control
- Grocery Store tour
- Food label reading
- Internal and external triggers
TO QUALIFY FOR PARTICIPATION IN THIS PROGRAM:
- Child must be 7-13 years old
- Child must carry excess weight, with a body mass index of the 95th percentile or higher
- Child must receive clearance from a healthcare provider or school nurse to participate in physical activity
- Adult MUST attend all sessions with child
Click here for the medical clearance form.
AN EVIDENCE-BASED PROGRAM
- Over 39 peer-reviewed publications have documented positive outcomes following the program
- Developed by leading child health and weight management specialists using the best available evidence, clinical and government guidelines
There is a program fee to participate, but financial assistance is available to those who qualify.
For more information, call 314-421-8897 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.