You are here
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA
Cancer is a devastating diagnosis for people of all ages and backgrounds. Going through a diagnosis and various forms of treatment can take a serious toll on a person both physically and emotionally. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA provides support and guidance to help survivors rebuild and gain strength.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a 12-week program for adult cancer survivors that meets twice a week for one hour and 15 minutes. YMCA wellness coaches work with each participant to fit the program to his or her individual needs. The instructors are trained in the elements of cancer, post rehab exercise and supportive cancer care.
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve day-to-day life
- Reduce the severity of therapy side effects
- Prevent unwanted weight changes
- Improve energy levels and self esteem
In addition to the physical benefits, the program provides participants a supportive environment and a feeling of community with their fellow survivors, YMCA staff and members.
A final goal of the program is to assist participants in developing their own physical fitness program, so they can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle, not only as part of their recovery, but as a way of life.
The program is at no cost to participants who qualify, with program costs underwritten by the YMCA. Space is limited for each session to allow for low instructor-to-participant ratio.
Upcoming 2018 Classes:
- Jefferson County Family YMCA: Begins February 7
- Edward Jones Family YMCA : Begins February 12 and meets on Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:30pm
- Monsanto Family YMCA: Begins February 12 and meets on Mondays and Wednesdays at 1pm
- St. Charles Family YMCA: Begins February 19
- Mid County Family YMCA: Begins March 12 and meets on Mondays and Wednesdays at 2:15pm
- South County Family YMCA: Runs March 6 - May 22 and meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10:30am
- South County Family YMCA: Begins in March and meets on Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:30pm
- O'Fallon (MO) Family YMCA: Runs April 3 - June 21 and meets on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 5:30 - 6:30pm
- O'Fallon (MO) Family YMCA: Runs July 10 - September 27, Tuesdays & Thursdays from 12:30 - 1:30pm
- O'Fallon (MO) Family YMCA: Runs October 2 - December 20, 5:30pm - 6:30pm
How to Register:
Call 314.436.1177, email email@example.com or contact your local branch.
The following Gateway Region YMCA branches offer LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA:
Chesterfield Family YMCA: (636) 532-3100
Clinton County YMCA: (618) 526-5628
Downtown Belleville Kern Center YMCA: (618) 233-1243
East Belleville YMCA: (618) 236-9983
Edward Jones Family YMCA: (314) 439-9622
Emerson Family YMCA: (314) 521-1822
Four Rivers Area Family YMCA: (636) 239-5704
Jefferson County Family YMCA: (636) 931-9622
Mid-County Family YMCA: (314) 962-9450
Monroe County YMCA - HTC Center: (618) 281-9622
Monsanto Family YMCA: (314) 367-4646
O’Fallon Family YMCA- Missouri: (636) 379-0092
O’Fallon YMCA- Illinois: (618) 628-7701
Randolph County YMCA: (618) 282-9622
South City Family YMCA: (314) 644-3100
South County Family YMCA: (314) 849-4668
St. Charles County Family YMCA: (636) 928-1928