New! Pre Comp Swim Club
The South County Family YMCA has a swim team for ages 5 to 21. Swimmers focus on stroke development, endurance, and self-confidence.
The new season begins September 4, 2018 and runs through the end of August 2019.
Swim team practice days/times:
- ages 8 & under: Tuesday & Thursday 5:15pm – 6pm and every other Sunday from 4:30pm – 6pm
- ages 9-12: Tuesday & Thursday 6pm – 7pm and every other Sunday from 4:30pm – 6pm
- ages 13-21: Tuesday & Thursday 7 - 8:15pm and every other Sunday from 4:30pm – 6pm
There is a required Parent meeting that at least one parent or guardian must attend on Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 2:30 pm at the South County Family YMCA. Current registration opens August 6 for members and August 13 for non-members. It is possible to enter the team at different times throughout the year. A coach needs to evaluate each swimmer before registration is finalized. Rachel Graczak is the Head Coach. Marilyn Cifuentes and Joe Rothermich are two of the assistant coaches.
- good-fitting goggles
- one-piece swimsuit for girls and briefs or jammers are preferred for the boys
- fins for ages 11+. Swim caps are optional but strongly recommended
- 5-year-olds must be at Starfish level or above/6-year-olds + must be at a Fish level or above with the ability to swim several full lengths of the pool in freestyle and back stroke with a working knowledge of butterfly and breast stroke.
- Member Rate: $50 per month (+$50 registration fee)
- Nonmember Rate:$100 per month (+$50 registration fee)
- Monthly fees are set up on Auto draft
For more information, please contact the Aquatics Director: 314-849-9622 ext 272.
WHAT TO EXPECT
We will focus our efforts on stroke technique to become legal in all four strokes, endurance, individual swimmers times and relay times. There are between 2 and 3 possible swim meets each month between September and March within the YMCA gateway region that are on weekends – some are only one day and some are two-day meets. There is also a possibility of swimming in the Regional Championship Meet in March and even progressing to the Areas Swim meet and Nationals. There are also casual meets held each month throughout the year at different YMCA’s in the greater St. Louis area encouraging healthy competition.
We have a parent board that helps to make decisions about which meets the team will participate in, coordinates the fundraisers and volunteer positions for the meets, helps with the team apparel, and plans the end of the year banquet. Parent involvement in our Swim program is essential!
During the Tuesday & Thursday practices:
- 5-8 year olds can expect to swim between a quarter mile and a half mile
- 9-12 year olds can expect to swim between a half mile and a mile
- 13-18 year olds can expect to swim a mile to a mile and a half
- 19-21 year olds can expect to swim a mile and a half+
A mix of team building activities, endurance, swim workouts, and dry land workouts