Building a Stronger, Healthier Community (2007-2012)
In 2007, the YMCA of Greater St. Louis embarked on an ambitious initiative – our Building a Stronger, Healthier Community capital campaign. The community ultimately supported this campaign with gifts totaling more than $25 million. We are proud of the many accomplishments derived from the campaign and we would like to share some of our successes:
- Tripling the number of local youth served by high quality programs through designated Urban Core funding, which supports YMCA access and outreach to St. Louis City and North St. Louis County students. Over 6,000 students are now reached annually through this initiative.
- Completing a $1.7 million expansion of the Four Rivers Area Family YMCA (Washington, MO), with a grand re-opening in January 2010.
- Expanding the South City Family Y with a $1.2 million addition that opened late 2010.
- Expanding the Jefferson County Family Y and playground using over $500,000 of capital campaign funds, with completion in June 2011.
- Completing a $800,000 expansion of South County Family Y, opened in late 2010.
- Raising more than $6,000,000 at the YMCA of the Ozarks to complete and update various buildings, including $3,000,000 committed to ensure comprehensive handicap accessibility renovations of its buildings, grounds, and waterfront amenities. This includes graded sidewalks and lakeside walkways, a boathouse, cabins and decks that ensure universal access for our visitors.